New Jabo

Pas à pas en Anglais

New Jabo

Messagepar matt scarlett » Jeu Jan 20, 2011 12:03 am

O.K. so here's what I do. For reasons of time and speed (although it doesn't seem to work as I change my mind a lot) I use this quick and simple enlargement technique to get the basic shape of what I’m drawing. I've got a makeshift light-box thing going on. I don't want to get into drawing a load of preliminary pictures, 'cause that alone can take a while... (for me the OCD perfectionist) :roll:

With the original 'Jabo', I had serious ... issues with making the hair look ... realistic, and his hair ended up being more of an 'add lib' affair. For me it's the small details that matter, and I feel that with some images one has to go large to get those details filled in.

However when it comes to doing the final piece, i'm not sure how others do it, but rather than drawing a penciled outline of the picture on the paper and then drawing over it with the pen, I prefer to keep the paper clean and work from the template underneath. I don't know why I do this .... it's what I do......

... but not for everything (below). However Jabo's actual hair (above), what you see so far is the 'enlarged template', and those few squiggles of his hair has taken me 2-3 hours today. o.O However, being better preparing in such detail for this particualr piece should be better in the long run.

But it's all for this particular piece. I didn't go to such lenghts for any other of my pictures, but I need it to look good. I have seen others work and when you get up close... to me it looks scrappy and untidy. I want my pictures to look as good, regardless of whether you're 6 inches away or 6 feet away. I want it to look as clean and tidy as this:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=790#p7145
Dernière édition par matt scarlett le Jeu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 pm, édité 1 fois.
matt scarlett
Chevalier de la bille d'argent

Message(s) : 218

Re: New Jabo

Messagepar Allan » Jeu Jan 20, 2011 5:16 pm

^^
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Messagepar matt scarlett » Jeu Jan 27, 2011 12:22 am

So this is where I am so far. I've not done much because I'm trying to build a new website at the moment... and I've told my admin friend to let me do it so i can learn. 5 days and I'm still lost.

So I've had a play around today with Bristol Board ... which most biro artists like Allan and James Mylne likes, but I hate the stuff. However I can't fault Allan’s advice .... and I’m finding that creating darker shades is a one time affair, where as the Seawhite Cartridge paper (which I love by the way) sometimes I have to go over it 3-4 times to get an even depth of the colour. Not good when you're doing big A1 pieces, but I’m hoping it'll cut the time down. Still don't like the stuff though

Pros and Cons of Bristol Board

Pros:
Darker areas takes one coat, thereby cutting time by not having to put 2-3 layers of shade down
More even with the darker shades

Cons:

The finish isn't as blended as with cartridge paper
When doing lighter shades, sometimes the pen doesn't want to take to the paper... and sometimes there's little you can do about it.

I've also labelled the pen 'Jabo 2' because I still find Bic pens are that consistent. One works really well, one doesn't work at all (literally :shock: ), one gives a nice thick dark blue tone, the next one it's as though the ink has been watered down. So try and use one pen per picture if you can. ;)

Again, I don't like to draw the outline in pencil and then go over it, I like to keep the paper clean, hence for this piece I've put a lot of work into drawing the template ... about 10 hours o.O

BTW I've still got a Lamy 'fine' pen :-) I might try them again :o
matt scarlett
Chevalier de la bille d'argent

Message(s) : 218

Messagepar Allan » Jeu Jan 27, 2011 6:05 pm

:mrgreen2:
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Retour vers Show your WIP drawings step-by-step