Pen yellows?

Vos questions en Anglais sur le dessin aux stylos à bille

Re: Pen yellows?

Messagepar matt scarlett » Dim Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm

For some reason my Lamy M16 (medium refils) are failing at an alarming rate. they only seem to last 5-10 hours before they fail. The 'fine' and 'wide' refils are fine. So i guess the experiment is to stay with the fine and wide refils and see if the continue to produce. However, even with that said, the Lamy pens are better than the Bics.
matt scarlett
Chevalier de la bille d'argent

Message(s) : 218

Messagepar Allan » Lun Nov 08, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks SickFish for this quote. Regarding of James Mylne's great work, it a good thing to know what he thinks about that question.

I am convinced that it's just a matter of ink quality. The best way to choose the good pen is to put it to the test in front of the sun for few weeks.
If it stand in front of it, you can be sure that it will stay on your drawings !
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Messagepar sickfish » Lun Nov 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Ah, but Allan - here in Cumbria the sun is a rare occurence! Now, if ink faded in rainy weather - that I could test! ^^
Now that I come to think of it - isn't Dublin's weather rather wet?
sickfish
Ball & Bille

Message(s) : 91

Messagepar Allan » Lun Nov 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Noooo. I would not say wet.... I would say not very dry !! :mdr:
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Messagepar matt scarlett » Lun Nov 08, 2010 12:48 pm

sickfish a écrit:Ah, but Allan - here in Cumbria the sun is a rare occurence! Now, if ink faded in rainy weather - that I could test! ^^
Now that I come to think of it - isn't Dublin's weather rather wet?

Well I used to live in Lancaster, but now I'm back in the southwest (Plymouth) where artists are supposed to be in abundance because of the light. I've yet to experience this great abundance of light in the southwest, and i've lived in the south west for over 20 years in total.
matt scarlett

Messagepar sickfish » Lun Nov 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Sorry Matt. :)

I lived and worked in Cornwall for a period of time and I found that light was definitely in more abundance there.
I think that would be a wonderful place to live. It's just a shame I can't afford it. :)
sickfish
Ball & Bille

Messagepar matt scarlett » Lun Nov 08, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm the other way around. I could have lived the rest of my life in Lancashire or even Cumbria. However my asthma was very bad in the north and i'm sure my life would have been shortened if I stayed there. but I miss the north very badly. The Art world does seem more vibrant in the southwest, however you do get the same old traditional art down here as well .... boats, harbours and seascapes. It gets a bit 'samey'.

The galleries down here are nothing of the sort, they're just glorified poster shops. I hope to change that when i get into my surfing stuff, but for now i'm just practicing on portraiture work .... and the like. Next year it's going to be surfing work ... with a bit of commission work to 'bring home the bacon' (bring home the bacon: British slang for making money).

Back to the Lamy refils

I've just rang websters, and told them about the 'Medium' refils, and they asked me to send them back for investigation, which i will do in due course. I hasten to add that the 'Fine' and 'Broad' refils are working fine.

http://www.websterspenshop.co.uk/
matt scarlett

Messagepar sickfish » Lun Nov 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Your comments about asthma are interesting as I'm also a sufferer.

I'll be interested to know how it goes with the Lamy refills - I use a Lamy fountain pen which I think is wonderful to draw with and I've wondered how good the ballpoints are.
sickfish
Ball & Bille

Messagepar matt scarlett » Mar Nov 09, 2010 11:31 am

my illustrator friends have told me to try fountain pens, however i don't know if a fountain pen would offer the same amount of control as a ballpoint. I know that roller-ball pens are hard to control.

As for my asthma, it's a bit of a strange one. My mother passed away from an asthma attack when i was 16 when we were living in Newquay, and so when i told my family that i was moving back to the south west everyone said; why? In 2009 i had 5 asthma attacks in 5 months all resulting in a trip to the hospital. On the last visit they refused to give me a nebulizer and i had to call my wife (now ex-wife) for help. after that, i decided to move!

The doctor said that he went to a convention where asthma was a big topic and the upshot was that Lancashire is the worst place in the country for asthma because the damp atmosphere.... the damp atmosphere helping spin cotton in the cotton mills.

In the south west my asthma is better, but I’ve got asthma ... not a headache, and i still have problems. But i really, really miss the north very badly. However I don't know how 'surfing art' would go down in Lancashire. I always felt that the art scene in Lancashire ... Liverpool and Manchester in particular were always trying to catch up with London ... i i don't think London has got much to offer artistically.

When i was at Falmouth school of art, and at uni in Preston .... there seemed to be this strange fixation on art in London. The quote from tutors both in Falmouth and Preston was that "students who went on the London trips came back better artist". I just think this was utter garbage!
matt scarlett

Messagepar matt scarlett » Jeu Nov 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Just got a call from Websters pen shop an d they said that they were very impressed with the pictures, however they did say that the pens weren't designed for drawing. Websters said that they are going to send off the refills to Lamy, but that would be next week.

So right now it's a sit and wiat and I'm doing the next piece with a Bic. As for Jo and felicity I wait to here what Lamy hast to say, but I'll put J&F on the back burner for now. T_T
matt scarlett

PrécédentSuivant

Retour vers Your questions about drawing with ballpoint pen