Masking Tape - Picking the right one!

Vos questions en Anglais sur le dessin aux stylos à bille

Masking Tape - Picking the right one!

Messagepar matt scarlett » Jeu Juin 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Masking tapes are not equal! Indasa Masking tape

For the sake of those like me, who has seen a bargain of masking tape at a cheapie store, only to have been disappointed, there is a world of difference in masking tape :moqueur:

Masking tape, as in all adhesives' has an 'Adhesive Impregnation' percentage to it. cheap stuff usually has low adhesive impregnation, whist the likes of Gorilla Tape or Unibond Tape, Flash tapes have a very high adhesive impregnation.

Of course what we are looking for is a blend of both. Being able to tape the edges of the paper, and even having the masking tape hold the paper on the board. But when it comes to taking the tape off, of course we don't to tear the paper.

Now ... I've only found one type that will allow me to both secure and take the tape of, and that is from a tiny DIY store near me.

On the side of masking the paper off, I found Indasa 19mm (width) tape to be very good. It's hard to unravel without care, but it holds the paper securely. The only problem is taking the stuff off, and so you see in my final photo of my current pictures, the Indasa masking tape is still on,

For the purpose of mounting at a local framing shop, the guy said, he would take the tape off for me, so I've left to to the experts.

ImageImageImage
matt scarlett
Chevalier de la bille d'argent

Message(s) : 218

Re: Masking Tape - Picking the right one!

Messagepar la gomme » Lun Juin 24, 2013 10:12 am

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
la gomme

Message(s) : 1440

Messagepar matt scarlett » Sam Juin 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Another good brand to choose is '3M'. The matter of masking tape might be a small issue, however for some like me, its an important consideration. Nothing more frustrating than taping a picture,, working on it for a day or so, then on a nice hot summers day ... it start peeling è_é

3M - what are all the codes about? not sure, but in time, I'll find out.

3M 2214 MASKING TAPE

3M Masking Tape 2328 White Best Value Automotive Tape

3M,GT500018665,MASKING TAPE 2211
matt scarlett

Messagepar Allan » Dim Juin 30, 2013 8:16 am

I never use masking tape when I draw with ballpoint pen but you make me realise that if I want a net and clean white border, masking tape is the tool to have !
Thanks for sharing your researches :yes:
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Messagepar matt scarlett » Jeu Juil 04, 2013 1:10 am

Allan a écrit:I never use masking tape when I draw with ballpoint pen but you make me realise that if I want a net and clean white border, masking tape is the tool to have !
Thanks for sharing your researches :yes:

It was you that suggested it to me, :moqueur: I don't know what i was doing, but you suggested that i use masking tape ... for whatever the project was. I think this was long ago before the wave stuff. I'm sure it was you that suggested it. Maybe it was a dream ;-?

Anyway ... in the interest of research I've ordered another two rolls from 3M. I'll let you know the outcome.
matt scarlett

Messagepar Allan » Dim Juil 07, 2013 3:18 pm

:moqueur: My brain doesn't work very well ... don't worry :moqueur:
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Retour vers Your questions about drawing with ballpoint pen