what do you do to motivate yourself?

Vos questions en Anglais sur le dessin aux stylos à bille

what do you do to motivate yourself?

Messagepar matt scarlett » Sam Jan 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi Allan,

Happy New Year to you, and when is your book coming out?

Problem: I was get to the stage where i start to really dislike my work, when that happens i grind to a hault, which isn't good. What do you do to motivate yourself?

I'm struggling with my Jabo piece, i can't seem to motivate myself, and so i'm taking a time out and i'm doing some smaller surfing pieces ... as i want to concerntrate on surfing art once i've got my three portraits done.

Struggling to get motivated to finishing off this 'Jabo' piece T_T

matt scarlett
Chevalier de la bille d'argent

Message(s) : 218

Re: what do you do to motivate yourself?

Messagepar Allan » Dim Jan 09, 2011 11:04 am

Happy new year to you Matt !!

The book in his French version is in publication state. As for the English version, we just start to translate it. I have a lote to do at the moment so it doesn't progress very quickly.

In fact, to stay motivate during the realisation of a very big pic like the Mona Lisa for exemple, I draw it piece by piece. First the face from the start to the end and the one part of the body and so on. That way, it's like starting a new drawing (a new part of the drawing) that nothing to do with the previews one. It keep me exacting to finish a part and start a new one.

And moreover, you see the final view come together more quickly. Personaly, I like showing step by step as well cause you can see and feel the reaction of you followers and it's very motivating to keep going !! But it works only if you have a bit of finish piece to show !
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Messagepar matt scarlett » Dim Jan 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Allan a écrit:
In fact, to stay motivate during the realisation of a very big pic like the Mona Lisa for exemple, I draw it piece by piece. First the face from the start to the end and the one part of the body and so on.

I think that's a good way to look at it.

I like to get the whole page covered first, then build up the layers from there. I have to admit that I made a bad mistake as in with 'Jo and Felicity'. I should have done the faces first. I don't know why i did that.

I try and set myself targets ... like this week do the body, next week, do the floor, but it never works out. I'm always sidetracked by something else, problems on my website etc. T_T

Maybe I should do one bit at a time, instead of covering the whole page first. But i do get ... side tracked by other projects i want to do. I'm going to take a week off Jabo, recharge and then come back.

But once again I’m toying with trying my next (and future pieces) on Bristol board. I've got some A1 but I’ve just ordered a pad of A2. I don't really like it, i find it doesn't blend as well as cartridge paper, but with cartridge paper i find you have to build up the darker layers bit by bit. With 'Jabo's' T-shirt for example, I've had to go over it 3-4 times, building up the thickness of the shading. When i tried to lay down one thick layer, it never worked once the ink was dry.

That's what's taking the time for me, putting down 3-4 layers of ink on such a large A1 piece takes a huge amount of time. Bristol Board seems to be easier and i don't need to build up the layers so much. So I’m going to do my surf picture and my next commission on Bristol Board.

Anyway... let's talk. How much are you going to sell the Mona Lisa for?
;-)
matt scarlett

Messagepar Allan » Lun Jan 10, 2011 7:57 am

:moqueur: She is not for sell but for me ^^
Anyway, I'm not sur I can sell a reproduction. I have to see about the copyright of this picture !
Allan
Roi du Stylo

Message(s) : 4005

Messagepar matt scarlett » Lun Jan 10, 2011 7:14 pm

I think that would be a good idea, a lot of people would want a copy i'm sure.
matt scarlett

Retour vers Your questions about drawing with ballpoint pen